Monday 21 November 2011

Chai latte

I'm totally into chai latte's at the moment, but where I live it's almost totally unavailable to buy, so the past week I've been experimenting with how to make my version of it. I can't claim its authentic, it's just how I've made it to taste as I like it - the 'McDonalds' of chai tea if you will. Here's the recipe;
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup cows milk
4 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp black tea leaves

Stick everything bar the tea into a pan over a medium heat to simmer for about 5 mins. Add the tea and leave for another minute or so (however strong you like your tea) then pour through a sieve and you're done.

You don't need the almond milk - I just think it adds an extra flavour and sweetness. If you slightly squeeze the cardamom pods first they open and infuse better. I think the result would be smoother if rather than a sieve I'd use coffee filter paper but I don't have any and am not that fussy about texture. (Thats a lie - I'm really fussy about textures, I can't eat dumplings when they are crispy on top, they have to be all squishy and doughy). But anyway, give it a try - then you can add things depending on your own taste. Enjoy.

Edit: just made some using rice milk instead of almond milk and earl grey tea - YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely trying this!

    -Kate
    http://luxecollage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete