Monday 26 September 2011

Singapore Grand Prix

Ok, one thing you should know about me is I am obsessed with Formula 1. I watch the qualifying, the races and the F1 forum on BBC red button afterwards. Once that's all over I'll go onto the website to read all the tweets and interviews. If I'm not at work during the free practice I'll watch that too.

I was absolutely gutted yesterday that I was working during the Singapore qualifying - even more so when I got home and realised It hadn't recorded! But after some reflecting and reading up I'm over it... I was home to watch the race on the Sunday (today).

So this weekend started with the prospect of Vettel winning the drivers championship (constructors championship is already in the bag for Red Bull). This was all dependent on IF Vettel won and IF other drivers didn't gain higher track positions. As it was, he won - despite Button's best efforts in the last few laps (really thrilling to watch) - all his nearest rivals gained good positions, meaning Vettel is ONE POINT off wrapping it up for the season so next week in Japan it'll be his - meaning that he is so far ahead in points that no one will be able to catch him up.
Remember guys, its 'Vettel' like 'kettle'

I guess its taken the shine off the end result, but for me its all about the racing. The sports I like watching, I watch without routing for a team. For me its all about the play itself so I guess I'll enjoy every grand prix until the end of the season for its individual merit rather than because 'my team' won. I like seeing sportsmanship and skill,  hate seeing bad losers (or bad winners for that matter). Sure, there are drivers I prefer, but that's because of skill rather than nationality or team loyalty. I think loyalties get in the way of a good game in sports. I'd prefer to watch a sport and be thrilled at the performance of everyone rather than the experience be tainted by making up excuses or bogus calls.
come on Tim... geddit?
I enjoy watching Wimbledon when it's on, but I can't help cringing with the 'Murray Mania' that hits the British media. Sure, he's a good player, but that is no excuse for crowds to boo opponents or even not applaud when they make a good shot. It's just not cricket, as the saying goes. In my eyes it's equal to watching a soap but only watching when the character you like is on screen; you're missing the bigger picture. The experience should be enjoyed as a whole, not compartmentalised into 'good' moves because you like them or 'bad' moves because you don't. Is this an odd opinion to have - am I one of the minority?

No comments:

Post a Comment