Sunday 25 September 2011

I don't want to alarm anyone but....

As I draw ever closer to my 27th birthday I am becoming increasingly aware of my own mortality, or to be more specific; my age. The prospect of living fast, dying young and leaving a good looking corpse is getting less likely by the day... Not that I'm overly keen on that dying malarky or anything, but the one compensation would be the 'good looking corpse' bit surely? Alas now that just seems to be a pipe dream.
Well not quite like this, but you get the idea...
Now this is going to sound quite vain, but every now and then I have a wrinkle and grey hair inspection; yesterday before work I had a look - no greys yet (phew!) although I'm starting to notice very faint, fine lines on my forehead - the 'surprise' lines, if you will. I've always been of the opinion that all your imperfections are what make you who you are. But then, that was when I didn't have many. Who's laughing now, eh?

 I expect I'll get used to it as I become older and look back at this moment thinking, 'pah! I wish I looked 27!'.
Actually... I wish I look like this when I'm older

When I was a kid I had several operations to remove brain tumors and was left with a dirty great scar on the back of my neck. I've got used to that now and I don't even bother to hide it. When I was 14 I had radiotherapy on the area which thus far has worked brilliantly, but has left a nice baldy patch covering the bottom half of my scalp. That's never properly bothered me, you just style around it. I joke about it being an inconvenience - no trendy pixie 'do's, but It's never been an issue. (Except the first day my hair started falling out, that was bizzare, it turned my stomach watching a full handful of hair slide away from my scalp with no resistance).

Anyways, the point is that I'm over it, but ageing - that's something new, I guess I'll just have to get used to it like everything else, and as I've found out before - turns out most people don't notice these things anyway. Meh, but a crisis of faith - I guess I'm over it, just keep drinking water and green tea!
One day maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment